I baked this cake for my husbands birthday last month. Since the joy of baking website has got lovely and trustworthy recipes I usually choose her recipes if Im not in the mood for 'experimenting'! The following recipe was an extremely easy 'mix and bake' recipe (and using no electric beater...yay!!)..........
I used a 23 cm cake tin. So ended up a bit thin. The 20 cms cake tin would have been perfect for this one.
tasted so moist and lovely...........but in my defense..... I did feel a bit guilty for choosing SUCH an easy recipe for his birthday!... :D
INGREDIENTS:1.5 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder, sifted
1/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
75 grams unsalted butter (1/3 cup), melted
1 cup warm water(240 ml)
1 tbsp lime juice or vinegar .....(I used vinegar)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
6 ounces (170 gms) semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
3/4 cup (180 ml) heavy cream (35% butterfat)
1 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F or 177 deg celcius. place rack in the centre of the oven
- grease a 8 inch(20 cm) square baking pan. line the bottom with wax paper
- In a bowl mix together the flour, cocoa powder,baking soda, baking powder and salt. use a hand whisk so that the ingredients mix well.
- Add the melted butter and vanilla.
- add vinegar to the warm water and pour into the flour bowl. mix well till incorporated.
- pour the batter into the greased cake tin and bake for about 20 to 30 mins or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean
- cool the cake on a wire rack.
- place the chopped chocolate, butter and cream in a heat proof bowl.
- place over a saucepan of simmering water and stir so that it melts.
- remove from heat and cool to room temp until its of running consistency.
- remove cake from the cake tin and place on a plate.
- pour frosting over the cooled cake. let stand till the frosting has thickened.
- the cake tastes best when its slightly warm. So dont serve it right outta the refrigerator.