I used a 280 ml glass for my measurements.2 glasses idli rice
3/4 glass ulundhu/ urad dal
1/2 tbsp fenugreek seeds/ vendhayam
- Soak the idli rice in one vessel overnight
- In another vessel soak the urad dal and the fenugreek seeds together, overnight
- The next day, wash them and keep the separately.
- Wet your grinder and let it run for a few seconds . Add the drained idli rice along with 1/4 glass water. let it run for a few minutes and keep adding water bit by bit so that the machine doesnt get too hot. The water also helps the rice to grind easily. Approx 3/4 to 1 glass water for about 20 minutes. Make sure to use a spatula to make sure no rice sticks to the sides of the grinder.
- Collect the batter in a container.
- Next, grind the washed urad dal and fenugreek seeds. For this let it run for a few mintes without adding water. Later, add water little by little . Approx 3/4 to 1 cup water for 20 mins.
- Collect this batter in the same container as the idli rice batter. Give a good mix and keep in a warm place for it to turn sour(It will rise) . It will be ready to keep in the refrigerator at night
- you can make idlis the same day. but dosas taste better the next day.
- to make idlis, take required amount of batter in a bowl. Add required salt and a pinch of soda bicarb and mix with little water. The batter should be slightly thick.
- to make dosas, take required amount of batter in a bowl, add salt and water and mix. batter should be of pouring consistency.
- For more keeping time in the refrigerator, do not mix salt to the entire batter. Mix only as and when you need.