I got the recipe for the base here. Iv tried other recipes for pizza base before. But this is a winner. The sauce was the same one I use for my tomato base pastas! Topped with veggies and cheese...........ahhhhh!!..........satisfaction guaranteed!
INGREDIENTS:for the dough/base:
3/4 cup wheat flour
3/4 cup plain flour
1 tbsp yeast (I used instant yeast so no need to proof)
1/8 cup oil
1/2 tbsp sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup water, boiling
1/4 cup milk
for the sauce:
1 can tomatoes (411 g)
1-2 tbsps garlic, minced
1 big onion, chopped finely
2 tbsps tomato puree
1 tsp sugar
oregano, rosemary - dried, to season
chilli flakes, as per need
5-6 leaves fresh basil
6-7 capers (optional)
salt to taste
I used black olives, capsicum and mushrooms. You can use whatever you wish :)
- Take a huge mixing bowl and place the oil, salt and sugar in it.
- Add boiling water and mix until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the milk now to bring the mixture to room temperature. Add the yeast and mix well.
- Add the flour and knead into a dough. Place the dough in a greased vessel and cover it with a damp muslin cloth. Allow to rise until double in size (Approx 1 hour)
- Take the dough and roll it out using a rolling pin (like how I did)
- grease a pizza pan and spread the dough using your hands. Fold about one inch of the corners of your pizza as shown in the pic.
- spread enough sauce over the base. Spread a bit of pesto
- add your toppings and cover with enough cheese
- bake at 180 deg celcius for about 20 -25 mins.
for the sauce:
- heat 2 tbsps oil in a wok and saute the garlic.
- Add the onions and saute further till transparent
- Add the canned tomatoes and salt and stir.
- Add the chilli flakes. close the lid and let it simmer for about 10 mins.
- Add the tomato puree and the basil leaves.
- Add the sugar, capers and the seasonings.
- Add the capers. cook on low flame till the sauce is of desired consistency.
sending this recipe to '60 days to christmas' event hosted at divya pramil's page