Rotiboy is the name of a very famous bakery in Malaysia. They are extremely famous for their delicious coffee buns with a buttery middle! Im not very sure why these are called "mexican" coffee buns....coz they came into existence in penang, malaysia. Now they are famous in Malaysia, Singapore, Philippines ......and most of Asia :)
I followed this recipe after alot of browsing and searching the web. Extremely happy with the result although the tops burnt a bit :( So I have reduced the baking time in the recipe. Also I have changed the original recipe a tiny bit and given it 2 rises instead of one. Also I have used half wheat flour and half bread flour! (coz I ran out of bread flour :P) The results were really good! But those who dont mind the white flour please go ahead and use full bread flour for better results.....
They were unbelievably soft inside and slightly crisp on the outside....and we couldnt even wait for it to cool down...........yeah! we're all gluttons..........LOL!
INGREDIENTS:for the dough:
2 1/4 cups (250 g) bread flour (I used 1 cup wheat flour and 1 1/4 cup bread flour)
1.5 tablespoons (10 g) milk powder
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon (3 g) salt
1 teaspoon (4 g) instant yeast
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 cup water or milk (do not use powdered milk if using milk)
2 tablespoons (30 g) butter, softened
for the topping:
7 tablespoons (100 g) butter, softened
1 cup icing sugar, sifted
1 extra large egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon instant coffee powder
1/2 tablespoon hot water
1.5 cup (100 g) all-purpose flour
for the filling:6-7 tsps butter
PROCESS:for the dough:
- In a large bowl sift together the dry ingredients.
- Add the yeast, egg and water. Mix.
- Add the flour and start kneading,
- Knead for a few minutes till the dough comes together.
- Add the butter and knead.
- Dough should not be very sticky. But dont over flour it. If pulled the dough should be elastic.
- Dough should be smooth.
- cover and keep in a warm place and leave it to rise for about 45 mins or until the dough has doubled in size.
after 1st rise
- In the meantime, we can make the coffee topping.
- In a bowl, cream the butter and sugar using an electric mixer until creamy.
- In a separate bowl mix the hot water and coffee powder and then add it to the butter mixture.
- Add the egg and beat further.
- Add the flour, and beat on slow mode until combined.
- refrigerate until your ready to use the topping.
- After the dough's first rise, punch down the dough and divide it into 6 to 7 small balls.
- grease your hand. Take one ball and flatten it on your palm.
- place 1 tsp of butter in the centre and bring the corners to seal it. pinch and seal it properly coz you dont want the butter oozing out when you bake it in the oven!
- Repeat the procedure with the rest of the balls, and place them on a greased baking tray.
- Keep in a warm place and leave it to rise for about 45 mins. (second rise)
after 2nd rise
- After it has doubled in size, fill a ziploc bag with the coffee topping(snip a tiny bit at the end) and pipe in circles starting from the centre as seen in the picture.
- Bake at 200 deg celcius for about 10-12 mins.
sending this to priyas event 60 days to christmas event