I love black Dal. But my husband hates it. So I make it only if he's not at home. He's on a business trip this weekend. So I immediately soaked some black dal the previous night......YAY!
This recipe uses no cream....but its as good! Filled with nutrition and flavour I wish to make it more often. Cheers to more business trips! :D ...........What a sadist !!!! :O
INGREDIENTS:1 small piece cinnamon
1/2 cup whole urad dal/ black lentils
1 onion, chopped
1 tomato, de skinned and chopped
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 green chilli, slit
1/2 tsp chilli powder (or 1/4 tsp if you want it milder)
3/4 tsp coriander powder
1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves
2 tbsps milk
1 tbsp butter
- In a pressure cooker heat the oil and saute the cardamoms, cloves and cinnamon.
- Add the onions and saute till light brown
- Add the green chilli and ginger garlic paste and saute for a minute.
- Add the tomato puree and tomatoes. Stir for a few minutes.
- Add the chilli powder, coriander powder and salt.
- Add the coriander leaves.
- Add the black dal and enough water to cover and cook the dal. (approx 1.5 to 2 cups water)
- close the pressure cooker and cook for about 5-6 whistles.
- after it cools open and check if the lentils are soft and cooked. If it is then add the milk and stir for a few minutes more till you get the required consistency.
- Melt butter and add on top. serve hot with rotis
- If you plan ahead to make this dal, you can soak it the night before.
- but its not necessary to soak it earlier, It might just take a little longer to cook