Iv been wanting to make this cake for a long time now. Its low fat and quite healthy...according to me! :D This carrot walnut cake is 'the perfect' cake/treat for those who are extremely strict about their fat intake! Its got carrots, walnuts and No butter! Perfect tea time snack:)
When Nandita wanted me to do a guest post for her, I knew exactly what I was going to bake, since she too was on the lookout for healthy recipes. You can also check out this post at her page.
The cake was so soft and tasted so good. No work, put my feet up watching my favourite show, baby asleep.......with a cup of tea and the carrot cake in hand....sigh! This is life........!!
1/2 cup walnuts
1 1/4 cup grated carrots
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 oil ( I used sunflower oil)
1 tsp vanilla essence
- Toast the walnuts for about 8 mins until slightly browned and fragnant. cool and then chop them into small pieces.
- In a separate bowl mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon
- Using an electric mixer, beat the eggs until they are frothy ( about 1 min)
- Add the sugar and beat till the batter is thick and light coloured (about 3-4 mins)
- Add the oil and beat in the vanilla extract.
- Add the flour and mix until just incorporated.
- With a rubber spatula, fold in the grated carrots and walnuts.
- Grease the cake tin and line with butter paper, Pour in the batter. Bake at 180 deg celcius for about 20- 25 mins or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool for a few minutes and then take out of the tin.