Im dedicating this post to one of my closest friends, Sarah. She's craving for a vanilla sponge/ tea cake! YES!....she's pregnant! She stays in Australia.....so all I could do for her is find her a trusted recipe! :( and my daughter did a lil' drawing for you below :)
Being a big coffee- holic, I tweaked the recipe a bit and added coffee powder to the cake batter! but for those who want the basic vanilla sponge cake just use the milk without the coffee!.......Loved the mild taste of coffee I got at every bite! A lovely twist to the usual basic vanilla sponge cake! Will I make it again??????????.......Yes, yes and YES! :) This one's for you Sarah! hugs!
INGREDIENTS:1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsps baking powder
170 gms butter
1 1/2 cups icing sugar/ powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla essence
3 tsp instant coffee powder dissolved in 1/4 cup hot milk, cooled
- Sieve the flour and baking powder together and keep aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar using an electric mixer until soft and fluffy
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. If the mixture starts to curdle then add a spoon of flour before adding the next egg.
- add the vanilla essence.
- Add the dry ingredients( flour mixture). With a spatula mix the ingredients only till combined. do not over mix.
- Slowly add the coffee mixture(milk) till the batter is of dropping consistency.
- Grease a 20 x 20 cms square or round cake tin. grease and line with baking paper.
- fill it with the cake batter and bake at 200 deg celcius for 20 - 25 mins or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- cool and then cut
- If you want the plain basic vanilla tea cake, just use the milk without adding the coffee powder.