During this holy month of Ramadhan, this is one dessert that is on the table every day. It is said to cool your body..........
In Malaysia, you can find different recipes of agar agar.......from different colours to tastes!! In the following recipe I have used brown sugar. If you want more colour then substitute brown sugar for palm sugar. I didnt have it at home!
INGREDIENTS:700 ml water
15 grams agar agar strands/ chinagrass
1 screwpine leaf/ pandan leaf, knotted (optional for the flavour)
2 tbsps grated coconut
5-6 tbsps brown sugar (or per taste)
- soak the chinagrass in some water overnight. Or if you have forgotten then just pour some hot water in the chinagrass to soften it so that it cooks faster. Drain.
- in a saucepan heat the 700 ml of water. Addthe drained chinagrass and cook over medium flame.
- Add the pandan leaf and the brown sugar.
- cook till the chinagrass dissolves.
- Add the coconut on slow flame. cook for 3- 5 mins till the coconut softens. Switch off the flame.
- wait till it cools a bit and remove the pandan leaf. Pour into the required mould and refrigerate.