This is such a refreshing twist to the usual onion and cucumber raita.... a big hit with the children!! we make this so often at home....and we never get bored!......
INGREDIENTS:1 cup plain yoghurt
3 tbsps water
smaller than a lime size, jaggery dissolved in little water
3 small brinjals, cut in rounds
1/2 green chilli, cut coarsely
6 curry leaves
oil for frying
1 pinch, jeera/cumin seeds
corriander leaves to garnish
- Pour the yoghurt in a medium sized bowl and mix the salt, green chilli, dissolved jaggery and water. Keep aside
- fry the brinjal and turn off the flame when it starts changing colour. Drain
- Add the brinjal to the yoghurt.
- In a separate frying pan add 1 tbsp oil. when its hot add the cumin seeds, curry leaves. When it starts spluttering turn off the heat and pour it into the yoghurt.
- garnish with corriander leaves
- serve chilled
- for those who think they want to eat healthier, you can always grill the brinjals. Slice the brinjals , and drizzle with some extra virgin olive oil and grill for a few minutes.
- its better to use the green brinjals for this recipe rather than the purple ones because thepurple ones might be a bit bitter.