This my comfort food. My all time favourite puli kolumbu!! yum....the lovely smell u get when you temper the red chillies, garlic and curry leaves,.....sigh! :)
This recipe probably has a long list of ingredients, but has the simplest of procedures!
Mocchai kottai has loads of vitamins. so this is probably the yummiest way to eat it!!
INGREDIENTS:8 pods garlic
1 tsp fenugreek seeds/ vendhayam
2 dried red chilli
1 stick curry leaves
1 drumstick, cut into few pieces
1 cup mocchai kotta / field beans ( soaked in water the previous night)
20 shallots / chinna vengayam
2 tomatoes, chopped
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp coriander powder
1tbsp kolumbu masala (i used aachi kolumbu masala)
tamerind (little bigger than a lime size) soaked in 1/2 cup water
1 cup water (APPROX)
- Drain the mocchai and put it in a pressure cooker with a little water for about 1 whistle. Remove from flame and keep aside.
- In a frying pan add a little oil. temper the red chilli, garlic and curry leaves.
- Then add the shallots and saute till slightly brown. Add the fenugreek seeds.
- Add the drumsticks and the tomatoes.
- stir for about 2- 3 mins.
- Add the turmeric powder, kolumbu masala and salt.. stir and cover for few mins.
- add the cut brinjals.
- in a small bowl strain the tamerind juice. add the coriander powder to the tamerind water and mix well.
- pour the tamerind water to the pan and stir.
- add required amount of water to the pan. bring to boil.
- Add the mochhai and cover. check for salt.
- let it simmer for a few more mins and then switch off the flame.