My family loves waffles.....breakfast or dinner!!....Mmmmmm..........the thought of those buttered waffles dripping with honey is so tempting.... how nice if they could be healthy instead of fattening!.......Well....I have just the recipe......
INGREDIENTS:1 1/2 cups wheat flour
1 1/2 tbsp white vinegar
1 1/2 cups milk
2 tsps baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp honey
5 tbsp canola oil
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- Put the egg whites in a small bowl. Allow the whites to stand at room temperature for 45 minutes. Put the yolks in the refrigerator until you are ready to make the waffles. Set the whites aside.
- Add white vinegar to milk. Allow to sit for 15 minutes to curdle. Preheat the waffle iron
- Whisk together the wheat flour, baking powder, baking sofa and salt in a large bowl.
- Combine the curdled milk, honey, canola oil, egg yolks and vanilla extract in a small bowl. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, whisking to combine into a thick, bubbly batter
- Beat the room temperature egg whites that you set aside. Use an electric mixer set on high speed just until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the whites into the batter using a rubber spatula.
- Grease the iron with a bit of butter or oil. Spoon about one half cup batter onto the waffle iron to within a quarter inch edge of the grid. Close the lid and bake until the waffle is golden and crispy. Lift the edges gently. Remove your whole wheat waffle from the iron and keep it warm in the oven until you finish cooking all the waffles.
- eat hot with butter and honey/maple syrup