Also sending this recipe to Anjali's event cakes, cookies and desserts
INGREDIENTS:1 cup (145 gms) blanched whole almonds
1 tsp ( 5 gms) baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
2 cups (260 gms ) all purpose flour
3/4 cup (150 gms) granulated white sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 tsp almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F (180 deg C)
- Toast almonds for 8 - 10 mins or until browned or fragrant. cool and chop coarsely
- Reduce temperature to 300 deg F (150 deg C). Line a baking sheet with wax paper
- With an electric mixer combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Beat until blended.(about 30 secs)
- Gradually add in egg mixture and beat until dough forms, adding almonds halfway through.
- Add the vanilla and almond essences.
- On a slightly floured surface roll dough into a log about 14 inches(35 cms) long and 3-4 inches (8-10 cms) wide
- Transfer log into prepared baking sheet and bake for 30-40 mins or until firm to touch.Log spreads during baking
- Remove from oven and cool for 10 mins
- Transfer to cutting board and using a serrated knife, cut log into slices 1/2 inch(1.25 cms) thick on the diagonal
- Arrange evenly on baking sheet and bake another 10 mins or until slightly browned
- cool and store in airtight container
- I didnt take the measurements( the inches and cms ) into consideration. Just baked it according to my likes.
- I added a bit more flour to the dough because i couldnt roll out the dough. It was too sticky
- the biscotti's were crisp but I felt that I should have cut them thinner. Well, there's always a next time.
- you can even add 1 tbsp of orange or lemon zest to the egg mixture
- you can substitute hazelnuts or walnuts instead of almonds.